Do you ever wonder why some people age with hardly any lines on their face at all, while others seem to have lots of wrinkles? Well, the way we treat our body and our skin over the years plays a big role in how many fine lines and wrinkles we will have as we age.
The health and lifestyle decisions that we make during our life will help determine how youthful we look as we grow older. Although our genes also play a role in our skin type, how we treat our skin plays an even bigger role. So to avoid premature aging of your skin, you need to cut out the things in your life that might be harming your skin.
Here are eight steps to a healthier, more youthful skin:
1. Drink lots of water. Water is important for our health and dehydrated skin will look dry and saggy, so to have healthy, smooth skin it is important to drink at least six to eight glasses of water a day.
2. Eat a healthy diet. Eating lots of fruit and vegetables will help give your skin the nutrients it needs to be healthy. Avoid foods high in sugar and your skin will thank you for it.
3. Give up smoking. Smoking leads to premature aging of the skin by damaging the skin, making it dry and also discolours the skin. Cigarettes contain harmful chemicals that your skin cells don’t stand a chance against.
4. Wear sun screen. Whenever you are outside in the sun always protect your skin with a good sun block. Sun damage can make your skin dry and tough and can also cause freckles and sun spots. Then of course there is also the fact that sun exposure can also cause skin cancer, so it is important to be very careful with your skin in the sun.
5. Get enough sleep. If you aren’t getting enough sleep you look and feel tired and one tell tale sign of not enough sleep is the dark circles and bags under the eyes. Long term lack of sleep can make your skin saggy and tired looking.
6. Start exercising. Exercise will help increase your blood circulation which helps to maintain healthy skin. When you exercise you will begin to feel healthier and have more energy and this will appear on your face when you look healthy and happy.
7. Avoid alcohol. Alcohol dilates the small blood vessels in the skin and these vessels can become permanently damaged over time. This can leave you with broken vessels on the skin’s surface and a ‘flushed’ appearance. If you do drink alcohol then do so in moderation.
8. Reduce the stress in your life. Stressed people always tend to look sad and long term stress can cause a ‘permanent frown’. If you are always under a lot of stress and tend to be frowning more than you are smiling then the muscles in your face will change to suit. Frown lines can make a person look much older, so try to avoid stress and frowning if possible.
So these are just a few life changes that you can make that will ultimately help you to slow down the aging process and help you to maintain healthy skin.